Thursday, March 26, 2009

3D Printing model




Nilu, Miya, and I were all working on getting the model ready for 3D printing during the class, and found that making connections between all of the triangles took much longer than we thought.  We got it done though, and I put all the various pieces together.  I checked the mesh file using the commands to see if the object is ready to 3D print; it was a 'bad mesh' at first, but was a 'good mesh' after I cleaned it up.  The only thing is that the file doesn't retain the good mesh state when I save it afterwards, it just ends back up as a bad mesh when I open it again.  So this won't be good for trying to send it off to get printed.  I have also made the triangles a blue color, and the connections a darker blue color, because the 3D printer can print in color.  But there are a few triangles that are off colored, and I can't figure out how to get them to change.  I also put all of the triangles and connections on their own specific layers, but this seems to have made the mesh checking more difficult to carry out.  So I think the best thing to do is to just print the model without color, as there are too many problems with trying to use color.

No comments:

Post a Comment